Google has paid tribute to India’s first female MLA Muthulakshmi Reddy by making her doodle on 30 July 2019. Today is the 133rd birth anniversary of Muthulakshmi Reddy. She was the first woman legislator of India as well as the first woman surgeon of the country.
Muthulakshmi was an Indian teacher, surgeon and social reformer. Along with working in the field of health, she worked to a great extent to equalize the sex ratio and improve the lives of girls. The Tamil Nadu government announced on 29 July 2019 that they would celebrate 30 July every year as ‘Hospital Day’.
About Muthulakshmi Reddy:
• Muthulakshmi Reddy was born on 30 July 1886 in Tamil Nadu.
• She was the first woman in the country to enroll in a boys’ school.
• She continued to fight for the rights of women throughout her life and also took part in the freedom struggle of the country.
• In the era when Muthulakshmi Reddy was growing up, the practice of child marriage was very loud at that time. Despite this, he opposed it and persuaded his parents to educate him.
• While working in the Madras Legislative Assembly, he demanded an increase in the limit for marriage. He also raised his voice against the harassment of the girls.
• His sister died of cancer, after which he started a Cancer Institute in Chennai in 1954.
• He was awarded the Padma Bhushan Award by the Government of India in the year 1956 for his service and work. Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddy died in the year 1968 at the age of 81.