The Central Government introduced the Triple Talaq Bill in the Rajya Sabha on 30 July 2019. Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad introduced this bill. This bill has been passed from Lok Sabha on 26 July 2019. So far 15 bills have been passed in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. So far 6 bills have been passed only in Lok Sabha and 4 bills only in Rajya Sabha.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Congress have issued a whip for this and ordered all their MPs to be present in the House. The Lok Sabha has already approved this bill. This bill was also passed in the last Lok Sabha but was returned by the Rajya Sabha.
The central government has brought this bill again with some changes. The Biju Janata Dal (BJD) has said about the triple talaq that the party will support the bill in Rajya Sabha. The bill that makes triple talaq a crime has been brought to Rajya Sabha for discussion and passing. This bill includes a provision of three years’ imprisonment and fine, making three divorces illegal.
Provisions made under the Bill
• In this bill, triple talaq is considered a crime. A provision has been made to punish Muslim men who have given three divorces.
• In this bill, there is a provision to consider triple talaq as a cognizable offense. Under this bill, a police officer can arrest without a warrant.
• Under the Bill, a victim can keep minor children with her. The magistrate will decide about it.
• The magistrate can grant bail to the accused. The bail will be granted by the magistrate only when the victim’s side is heard.
• Under this bill, there will be a provision for punishment only if either the woman herself complains or she makes a relative complaint.
• The aggrieved woman can claim alimony from her husband under the bill. The amount of alimony will be decided by the magistrate.